It seems that summer is not the time to be concerned about being fashionable. When it's 95° with a heat index of 105°, I could care less if I look nice - I just want to be COOL! Unfortunately, no matter how many layers one removes - even to the point of becoming stark naked - one is still roasting in the Kansas heat. This is probably the only reason I prefer cold weather over hot. At least when it's cold, you can add a sweater and feel fine.
In addition to it being too hot to care, I've also been quite busy this past month. Went to a camp for intellectually and developmentally disabled adults the first week (read about that in my other blog Celebrate Simplicity); spent the next week catching up on laundry & cleaning, babysitting Boo, and being sick; the third week saw more laundry & cleaning, taking a short anniversary "vacation" and assisting poor Hubby who hurt his back. This has left little time for fashion. Sometimes there are just more important things.
I have been working on a project, however, in between times. My goal this summer is to alter or construct one article of clothing or craft each week. My first project has taken two weeks, due to all the other stuff going on. But I did get it finished!
This summer-y denim dress called out to me while out thrift store shopping one day this past spring. It wasn't bad in its original state, but needed a few tweaks to suit me better.
It's hard to tell from the photo, but the dress was a bit big on top. Also, I dislike collars in the summer. So that was the first thing to go:
Sewing down the neckline, while easy enough, took a couple of days because my machine's tension was all goofed up. It's not fun fiddling with a cranky machine in a hot room with no air conditioning. I got to be as grumpy as that silly Brother after a couple of hours! Got it going, though, and quickly stitched up the neckline and put in a slightly shorter hem. Taking in the side seams was a little trickier - the left side has a zipper, so that had to be removed and put back in after taking in the seam. I discovered that when you do this, it changes how the zipper fits in the dress. It left about 1.5 inches without any zipper holding it together at the top, so I had to put in a hook & eye to keep it closed. Now, while this does the job, it is quite difficult to get the hook into the eye while wearing the dress! I'll need Hubby's assistance next time. Here's the finished product: