Sunday, July 10, 2011

Project for the First Week of July

How did I spend the Fourth of July? Plugging away in my sewing room! Hubby spent the day working on the house project, as always, so we didn't do any celebrating. Might as well be productive!

Here's what this week's project looked like before:


I love, love, LOVE the color and pattern of this fabric! Found this Christopher & Banks dress at a thrift store and bought it despite the fact it is two sizes too big. Shouldn't be too hard to make it fit - it will be perfect for enduring hot summer days without air conditioning.

First step was to chop off several inches from the hem. Next, the side seams got taken in a couple of inches. It still had some balloon-action going on with the back, so I made the back darts a little deeper, too. Here's what the dress looked like at this point:



Yikes! It looks like I cut a bit too much off the bottom! Now, if I were younger and thinner, this might not be a bad thing, but I am not comfortable wearing a dress this short. As I was washing dishes after supper that evening, and idea came to me how to fix this problem. I took the piece that I'd cut off and re-applied it under the new hem, making kind of a ruffle. The result is much more interesting than if I'd cut it the correct length to begin with. The weight of the added ruffle helps the dress hang better, as well as giving my chubby thighs more coverage. Now I can wear this dress outside the house, too.

No comments: