Monday, August 29, 2011

Finally got this re-make finished!

I picked up this cute maternity skirt for a quarter at a yard sale earlier this summer:

No, I'm not barefoot and pregnant....just barefoot and fat! LOL

Since I didn't want to sacrifice the awesome teal zig-zaggy pattern at the bottom of the skirt, and because this style of skirt only makes my chubbiness more obvious, I decided to turn this skirt into a sundress. The first thing to go was the t-shirt knit belly band; I put in a casing and added elastic. Going strapless wasn't going to be a good idea, because one good tug from little Boo and that dress would come right down. Yikes! So I hunted for weeks and weeks to find a simple brown silk rectangular scarf. I didn't want to spend much on the scarf, since the skirt had only cost 25¢, but I couldn't even find a new brown scarf in any stores! At one point, I figured I should come up with a back-up plan in case the elusive brown scarf never materialized. So I bought a roll of extra-wide brown satin ribbon at Wal-Mart for a buck. The ribbon would make decent shoulder straps. But I wasn't quite ready to give up on my original vision...

And last week, while at Grand Old Trunk thrift store....there it was!!! A simple brown rectangular scarf!!! For $1! Yay!!!

I gathered the scarf at the center point and attached it to the middle of the dress front (which is the old skirt back; maternity skirts hang low in the front, so it was best to turn the thing around for balance). The scarf is now a halter-style tie for the dress!

To define the waist, I was going to add some thin elastic. However, my sewing machine isn't overly fond of slick fabric, so I opted to use a skinny brown belt instead. I've also got a wide woven leather belt that would look cute for a more casual look.

Here's the finished product, with skinny belt and a little bling added to the tie:

Once again, I must apologize for the blurry photo. Apparently, it's not the batteries but the self-timer setting that is the problem. Perhaps a new camera is in order...

For a more covered-up look, I can tie the scarf in a bow and add a shrug:


I think this is my most favorite re-make that I've done yet! And it was so cheap! :)

1 comment:

Bflowers said...

That is awesome! It looks so good on you! What a great dress for $1.25 and it's so flattering on you! By the way, LOVE the shoes too!