Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Head to Toe

I've heard that one shouldn't go for a completely monochromatic look from head to toe. However, this outfit does just that and I love it! Here's a little "hoo-rah!" for the girls at New York Fashion Exchange for styling this for me. I've come to realize that the personal assistance received at a small town shop like NYFE just can't be matched. When I shop at Target or JC Penney, etc (or even a thrift shop), I'm on my own. For me, this is an overwhelming, almost terrifying experience. I have no clue what looks good on me (those mirrors in the dressing rooms LIE, I'm tellin' ya!), no idea how to take Dress A and pair it with Accessories B, C and D to make it look put together. Enter the NYFE girls...and prepare to be amazed! It was a bit overwhelming at first, and I was not convinced what they told me to put on would look right. After all, I've never looked good in a straight up-and-down dress, why would this one be any different? Besides, it's a size smaller than I normally wear. But I took it into the dressing room anyway. Lo and behold, it fit. However, it did nothing for my shape. Then one of the girls took off her own scarf and belt, put them on me and pointed me back toward the mirror. She said I'd have to imagine the brown tights and boots, but there ya go....shapeless to awesome! I was stunned. And so I bought the dress and the belt. I had a very similar scarf gathering dust in my closet which would duplicate the style perfectly. And here it is:
Dress: NY Fashion Exchange
Scarf: Walmart (2 years ago...worn for the first time here!)
Belt: NYFE
Boots: can't remember
Earrings: not sure...they appeared in my jewelry box one day (?!)
Ring: thrifted


I'm still all for bargain shopping; that will always be in my blood. But I am learning that sometimes it is worthwhile to spend a little more money on well-fitting and figure-flattering items. These will last much longer than that trendy top purchased for $2...although it may last a very long time because it goes with absolutely nothing in your closet! Now, in case you're thinking I spent a small fortune getting personal service and great clothes at NYFE, you will be surprise to learn that the prices were quite reasonable. The dress was $20 and the belt was $14. Granted, this is more than I normally spend (yep, I'm the Queen of Cheap!), but I love the outfit and plan to style both items other ways to create more great looks, as I learn from the girls at NYFE! Rhonda and her crew are amazing!

5 comments:

lantabmom said...

Wow, what a hottie. This looks amazing on you, love the whole outfit!

Bflowers said...

The scarf has color, pattern and even shine. A good outfit is made up of these plus texture and this outfit has all four of those elements. You look great in it and I love those boots!

Melissa said...

Thank you, sisters!

Grammy Goodwill said...

It's amazing what that scarf and belt did to the dress! I don't know which one I like better. You look fantastic.

Heather said...

Love this outfit. Well done!