Sunday, December 18, 2011

Two Hits and a Miss

On Friday, I met my bestie, Rox for coffee at our favorite little coffee shop. Here's what I wore:
Brown top: old, not sure where I got it
Black corduroy pants: JC Penney's
Scarf: gift from my bestie, Rox (♥ it!)
Earrings: JC Penney's
Flower ring: Target
Black Dansko clogs: eBay

Saturday was a day full of parties! We celebrated my grandbaby Boo's 2nd birthday in the afternoon. I just barely finished decorating his cake in time to dash out the door - no time to snap an outfit photo! I really like the outfit I wore to Boo's party, so I'm sure I'll wear it again and be able to feature it here in the future. Hubby and I were invited to our friends' annual Christmas party Saturday evening, and here is what I wore to that party:

Brown velour jacket: thrifted
Cream top: JC Penney's
Long paisley skirt: thrifted
Scarf: a little boutique in downtown Manhattan, KS (can't remember the name of it!)
Red eel skin bag: yard sale
Boots: Payless? (I've had them a long time!)
Earrings: JC Penney's

The length of the strap on my little red bag was bugging me - it won't stay on my shoulder and it's awkward to carry with the strap dangling about. On the way to the party, I decided to see if I could stuff the strap inside the purse...and discovered that the strap snaps off completely! I like it much, MUCH better as a clutch. Now that I don't have to mess with the goofy strap, I will probably get a lot more use out of that bag. Of course, it's not a practical purse, as it holds just enough for a night out. It's not like I go out on the town very often, but when I do, I'll have the perfect clutch purse!

And here's the miss - what I wore to church this morning. I didn't take the time to plan an outfit ahead (I was busy partying yesterday!), but I'd been hoping to wear this skirt soon. However, I realized this morning that the ONLY top that goes with it is this black sweater. 
Black sweater: Kohl's
Red/black animal print skirt: thrifted
Red shoes: Target
Earrings: JC Penney's

There's just something about this outfit that I don't really like. Can't put my finger on it, but somehow it just seems frumpy. Maybe the sweater is too bulky for the skirt? Perhaps flats aren't the right shoe? Can you figure it out? I think this skirt may end up back at the thrift store; not sure it's right for me after all.

3 comments:

Grammy Goodwill said...

I like how your red scarf pulls out the red in your skirt. How funny that you didn't know you could take the strap off your "clutch". In the second outfit, I like the skirt. But I agree with you about the top - you need something else, but I'm not sure what. Maybe a top with spandex in it? I have several of those - but lately they've gotten some bulges in them. hehehe Okay, they're really my bulges.

Bflowers said...

I agree with Grammy. Love the skirt on you but that sweater or the flats aren't quite right with it. A closer fitting black top and some bling around the neck paired with some shiny heels in black or red to match the skirt and it would be smashing on you!

Melissa said...

The only other solid black top I have is a black t-shirt, which I will try in warmer weather. I do have a pair of red heels, altho they are sandals, so not sure how they would look with black tights. Some girls can pull that off, but me? Hmm... As for bling around the neck - I tried necklace after necklace, but nothing looked right. Making an outfit with this skirt is gonna be hard work!