Tuesday, March 20, 2012

A Flock of Little Women

Every year for the past...oh, I don't know...at least 15 years, I have hosted a get-together with my mom and sisters. As the years have progressed, we've added daughters, nieces and sisters-in-law. Originally, this all-girl party was a time to watch the movie "Little Women" (the more recent version) and celebrate sisterhood. For the past few years, we've forgone the viewing of the movie; we'd rather use the precious time we have together catching up on each others' lives.

It goes without saying that food is a big part of our party!


I try to have a theme of some sort for the party; this year, it was "tropical". Since we are still deep in the destructive stages of our home remodel, the theme did not extend to decor. The menu was tropical: Hawaiian Chicken Salad, Tropical Banana Bread, Caribbean Potato Salad (which turned out to be too weird for us), White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies, Ono Butter Mochi (a gluten-free Hawaiian dessert bar), and of course, chocolate!! I used some of my Federal Glass collection ServaSets - the Button and Daisy set and the Apple Blossom set. (If I'd been quicker on the draw last year at that antique store and bought the two sets of Hazel Ware Capri Blue Seashell, it would have been perfect!)

The weather was even somewhat tropical, with temps around 80° and a strong south wind, so we dressed cool and breezy.

Mom
Me
B
L
A
K
Sadly, I didn't get a picture of L's two little girls, and my own daughter didn't show up to the party. We all had a wonderful time - eating, talking, laughing, sharing gifts, drinking, laughing some more... B's boys came along, so B and I led them out to the treeline so they could hike around the ravines. The trek through the cornfield was a good workout for us old girls...so when we got back, we felt we deserved more cookies and chocolate! We partied so much, we wore out poor little old lady dog, Abby...


"I could never love anyone as I love my sisters!"  ♥

1 comment:

Grammy Goodwill said...

Oh, what a fun time you all had. I think it's great that your mom dressed for the theme and I love the picture of Abby all tuckered out. I bet the ones who missed it regretted it after they heard how much y'all had. I wish I had a sister. Sigh.