Saturday, May 19, 2012

Thrifty Fashion Saturday

My daughter and I went to a community-wide yard sale this morning. It was a lovely lake-side neighborhood; we enjoyed looking at the houses and yards as much as we enjoyed shopping! Here are the fashionable finds that came home with me:

 The long sleeve animal print top on the left is somewhat too big in the shoulders and bust, but since I won't need it until cooler weather, I'll figure out if I can alter it later. The one on the right is a one-piece "twin set" with 3/4 sleeves. I have such stumpy arms that, as usual, the sleeves appear to be "high waters" instead of 3/4...so I will shorten them by a couple of inches. I paid $1 each for these.
More animal print! I love the fluttery sleeves of the top on the left, and the top fits well. It was purchased for $1 at the same sale as the first two tops. The orange top was originally purchased at a small, pricey shop downtown in the City - I got it for a mere 50¢! It's slightly roomy under the arms, but not enough to show anything, so I won't bother with any alterations. It does hang lower in the back, as you can kind of tell in the pic, and I'm not sure just how fond of that I am, but if I wear it with slim-fitting pants, at least it will cover all of my big behind.
 My most expensive clothing purchase today...these ordinary Old Navy jeans were $3. They fit...but I am not sure I like how closely they fit on my upper legs. Again, it is entirely too warm now to wear jeans, so dealing with that issue can be put off until fall.
 Two quarters bought this cute skirt that is several sizes too large for me. I didn't even bother trying it on. For one thing, it stinks like a smoking cat and is going directly into the washing machine. For another, it will either be altered to fit me as a skirt, or will be re-fashioned into something else. Stay tuned!
This is a 100% wool sweater jacket that was purchased at the same sale as the cute skirt, also for 50¢. It makes me look like Dopey from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs....but I didn't buy it with the intention of wearing it. This piece is "crafting fodder". It will be washed & dried with a load of whites until it's nice and small, and then will become something entirely different!

1 comment:

Grammy Goodwill said...

These are great bargains you found. I found a couple yesterday. Maybe I can show them in a post.