Sunday, July 1, 2012

Fun in the Sun

Yesterday was sister B's Family Swim Party at her house. All of us siblings were there, all of the spouses except for mine (he stayed home to slave away on the House Project since he had a rare day off), and all of the cousins except my daughter & her son & boyfriend. We had a wonderful time together, catching up on our lives, swimming in B's pool, and eating some tasty picnic fare.

You'd think the three of us girls had coordinated our outfits, but we didn't! When I walked in B's door and saw what she was wearing, we both laughed and exclaimed over each others' new maxi dresses. We said "wouldn't it be amazing if L arrives wearing a coordinating maxi dress, too?!" Since L has little ones, however, we didn't think she'd be wearing a dress...but as it turns out, her shorts and top coordinated with our dresses perfectly! We are just so close to one another in spirit that we can coordinate outfits psychically!


First, our lovely hostess, B...

 B's cool-as-a-breeze turquoise maxi dress is from Rue 21. Isn't she elegant?

Note the crochet detail at the neckline. This eliminates the need for a necklace and keeps the focus upward, toward her pretty face. B wore silver drop earrings and (not pictured) simple brown flip-flops.

Next, me...the eldest of our sisterly trio...

 My chevron-stripe pattern maxi dress is from Walmart. (I'd nearly given up finding one that didn't drag the floor by 6 inches - turns out the Junior department was the place to look!)
 My floppy sun hat was also purchased at Walmart; the sunglasses were bought several years ago in Mexico. I also wore silver drop earrings, and I used a thrifted vintage sand dollar pin/pendant to keep the bodice closed. Sadly, even a Jr size dress is too big in the bust for me!
 My dress also has crochet detail, but mostly on the back. (Does this put the focus on my back, then? Not sure it's my best feature, but at least it keeps the attention off my tummy!)
B.O.C. sandals from Vanderbuilt's

And here's L, our mama-to-be little sister...

 The lime green of L's ruffle-layered top is picked up in my dress, thus coordinating the three of us. She looks cool and comfy!
 L's top also has crochet detail at the neckline, drawing the eye upward to her smiling face. This photo doesn't show them, but she is also wearing silver earrings. And her new haircut is adorable!
L wore our "traveling flip-flops" with her outfit. The three of us purchased these several years ago, along with a matching tote bag, to be shared between us sisters. We take turns wearing them on vacation trips, special occasions, or just around home. They are starting to show their age, but we'll keep passing them around until they fall apart! Then maybe we should go shopping again...

I wish I'd gotten some pics of our picnic supper, but we were kind of busy getting the food out, feeding the little ones and keeping everyone hydrated. Besides, after all that splashing around in the pool, then setting up dinner in the 100°+ heat, we'd lost our polished looks by then. No girl wants to be photographed when she has pool-effect hair and melted sunscreen on her face! B's hubby grilled burgers, brats & dogs and the rest of the family provided sides of beans, salads, fresh veggies, deviled eggs and desserts. Three desserts, in fact! Sis-in-law A made a patriotic Jello poke cake, Mom made strawberry shortcake, and I made a Small But Potent Chocolate Cake. Our youngest brother, T, gave my cake a new name: Chocolate Slap in the Face Cake. It's a perfect description! And for the future espresso-laced version, Chocolate Slap in the Face with a Kick in the Pants Cake. I think I will have T name all of my desserts from now on! 


No comments: