Saturday, July 14, 2012

Thrifty Fashion Saturday

I went yard saling with The Girls this morning! The Girls are a group of senior citizen ladies who love to go thrifting, and I join them whenever I can. We drove to the monthly sale at the Catholic church in a nearby town this morning, eager to see who would be the "big spender". Today was their summer clearance sale, so everything was half-price. Belle was the big spender of the day, at $2.50; Ruth was the cheapskate of the day, at 75¢. My own total came to $1.35.

Here's what I found:


Various bras, to send to Sarah at The Fontenot Four, for her participation in Mrs. Pate's Blogger Bra Drive.


Self Esteem top
Didn't notice until I got home that this top has a smeary stain on it at one side near the hem. It fits me really well, though, so I'm hopeful that I can get the stain out.


Left, MixIt jean shorts
Right, Gloria Vanderbuilt denim shorts
Both pairs fit, but the MixIt shorts make me look like an ice cream cone. Those will go into the "donate" bag. Good thing I paid only half a quarter for them! The GV shorts are a bit loose, but that's what makes them comfortable. I really don't like tight clothing. How do women DO anything wearing tight clothes???


BandolinoBlu jean capri pants
(These are made in Jordan. Can't say I've ever owned any clothing made there, before!)
Other than being too big in the waist, these fit really well. After a couple of tucks, they will be perfect!


A.N.A. khaki pants
These fit great, except for the length. They are too long, of course, since they are not a petite size. Hemming them up will not be a problem! They are a very light-weight cotton, so they'll be cool to wear if I'm at a meeting in an air conditioned building. 

There were two other items purchased at the Catholic church sale, but I didn't take pictures of them - a pair of jean shorts for Some Postman and a t-shirt for my daughter (if she likes it). After we drove back to our town, we stopped at the two yard sales being held today. At one, I bought a lovely bunch of fake flowers for 50¢, and at the other sale, I bought a stack of antique books for 50¢ each.


The two big books are an encyclopedia and a history of Freemasonry. I plan to give these to my Daddy as a gift, since he is a Mason. Since I am interested in history, I'll be sure to peruse them first before giving them to him. The open book is the only one that might be worth anything significant. It's a first edition, signed by one of the authors. Since the dust jacket is missing, however, it's not as valuable as it could have been. I enjoy antique books, so it's doubtful I'll be selling any of these.

Did you find any fashionable bargains at the sales this week, or pick up any great finds at thrift stores?

2 comments:

Grammy Goodwill said...

Hmmm, where have I been and why have I not been commenting on these? I remember that I laughed out loud when I saw the first picture in this post because the words that jumped out to me were THE GIRLS. hehehe

Melissa said...

LOL! Yeah, I thought about using a different name for them, but that's the name we use, so I went with it. :D