Tuesday, July 10, 2012

What a Frumpy Hausfrau Wears to...

...go berry picking!

Old baggy t-shirt, now smeared with blackberry stains and thorn snags
A good pair of jeans that I hope won't show the berry stains
(not shown) Hiking shoes

There's a big wild blackberry patch on the fence row of the pasture next to our place. Last year, the berries just fried on the bush before they ripened. Surprisingly, considering how HOTT it has been so far this summer, the berries were mostly plump and juicy. God sent us a Blessed Cold Front to break the 100°+ weather we've had the past couple of weeks, so I put on my jeans and hiked over to the pasture. It's a bit difficult getting to most of the berries due to the steep incline of the ditch, but all that yoga practice helped me keep my balance.

Do you like my "manicure"?


My hands were MUCH more purple than that, but I had to rinse them off a bit before touching the camera. ha ha!

Here's my bucket o' bounty:


We'll eat some of these fresh, and the rest will go into the freezer so we can enjoy summer berries in the winter months. Yum!

1 comment:

Grammy Goodwill said...

When I saw your blue jeans, I knew the weather must have cooled down some. Those blackberries look so good. When we were young, my brother would pick them and sell them to the neighbors. My mom used hers to fix blackberry cobblers. Thanks for the memories.