Saturday, August 4, 2012

Stepping Out in a New Direction

Recently, I created a Facebook page for this blog. (Since I can't figure out what the page's address is, to link you to it, please enter "The Frumpy Hausfrau" in the search box on Facebook. Then be sure to "like" the page for updates!) At the same time, I did a little "redecorating" here on the blog - changing the background, colors and even altered the title slightly. I've been kicking around some ideas to change things up around here. My interests expand beyond fashion, and admittedly, I'm not really very fashionable. However, fashion, frumpy as my style may be, will remain the tie that binds my blog posts together. And so, to strengthen my creative muscles, I'm going to write more than just outfit posts. You've already seen some of that, with the Thrifty Fashion Saturdays and What a Frumpy Hausfrau Wears To... posts. Watch for more barely-tied-to-fashion posts in the near future!

As stated in the "about me" section of my profile, I'm still trying to figure out who and what I am now that my baby birds have flown the nest. I have NO desire to have a career, nor do I want to join the workforce. By living simply, my husband and I are doing just fine on a single income. But I still have a need to do something fulfilling with my life. Yes, I am still a wife and mother...and grandmother...but who am I, as a person, as a woman? Am I a writer? a fashion trend setter? an artist? a baker? a bump on a log?

In yet another attempt to figure out the answer to this question, I have taken a leap of faith and opened an Etsy shop. This is something I have considered doing for quite a while now, just never actually did it. Now that I have, it's time for me to get my act together and make the shop a success!

I'm not sure why, but I decided to name the shop the same as my blog: The Frumpy Hausfrau. (Why do my creative ventures carry the label of "housewife"? My identity is surely very much tied to this label. I love being married to my husband; we are a unit, so it makes sense that whatever else I am, it must be tied to my relationship with him as well.) What will I sell in my shop? My plan is to offer a wide variety of things that make me happy...vintage items, handcrafted pieces, re-purposed goods, old books. So far, I've only got one thing listed - a vintage Polaroid camera. There are a couple of handmade items in the queue, waiting to be ironed and photographed.

One reason I've put off this venture on Etsy is probably a fear of failure. There have been many things in my life that I've wanted so badly to do well, and yet they've been dismal failures. How do I know this won't succeed, unless I try? I didn't know if blogging would be successful, and if you judge by the number of followers I've accrued, then it's not a success. But it gives me a lot of satisfaction, and it is a creative outlet for me, and so I've kept at it. Perhaps the Etsy shop will be the same way...we shall see!


4 comments:

lantabmom said...

A great blog!! I think your etsy shop will do very well, you always find/make the most interesting things.

Melissa said...

Thank you! I sure hope so. :)

Grammy Goodwill said...

Well, good for you! I wish you much success with your shop. As much as I enjoy shopping at Goodwill, I think I should be a professional picker. hehehe I'm going to look you up on Facebook.

Melissa said...

Thanks, Grammy! And I agree - you would be a fabulous professional picker! Thanks for liking me on Facebook, too.