Thursday, August 2, 2012

What a Frumpy Hausfrau Wears To...

...pick up windfalls after the first big rain storm in a LONG time:


Yes, I wore flowered muck boots with my shorts and tank top. No, there is no full-body pic of the outfit. No one should suffer the agony of viewing my chubby thighs in running shorts. I just love my flowered muck boots, tho! I bought them on clearance from Target.com last year for just $7. They were too tight at the top for my chunky calves, as are most boots. I finally figured out why this is - my legs are quite short, so that puts the top of boots about 1.5" higher on my leg than the average woman's. Rubber boots are easy to fix; I simply trimmed them down with a pair of sharp scissors.

As you can tell from the picture above, our grass is mostly yellow and crispy as a result of the drought we've had all summer. This rain should help perk it up! I woke up at 3:30 am because the wind had kicked up, and soon I heard the rain begin to ping against the windows. What a glorious sound! Poor Etta Pooka was a scared-y weenie, though. She's forgotten what thunderstorms sound like, so she cried and cried. You'd think I had an infant in the house - geesh! I forgot to check the rain gauge while I was outside, but my guess is that we got at least an inch!

All that wind knocked a lot of fruit from our trees. The peaches are almost ready to be picked anyway, so I can use most of the windfalls. The dwarf apple trees are nearly ready for harvest as well; the red delicious is not. The next few weeks will bring lots of fruity goodness coming from my kitchen!

I wish you could smell these peaches! Heavenly!

1 comment:

Grammy Goodwill said...

I love your boots. I never thought about trimming them - you are so ingenious. I'm glad you got rain. We've yet to get anything other than quick showers. I wondered what a windfall was until I got to the end of your post. I've never heard it used that way before. We are currently eating fresh peaches bought from the orchard near my daughter.