Thursday, September 20, 2012

Divine Design, Week 3

Week Three for Frumpy Hausfrauen...Week One, Day Four in the book Divine Design


A Fresh Image

Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience. ~ Colossians 3:12

"While we live here on earth, we still have access to the closet of our old life. From time to time, we may be tempted to pull out items that belong in the past. God wants to give us a fresh new image, inside and out....Because I wear the robe of righteousness Christ gives me, I can clean out my closet."

Saturday will be the first day of fall - one of my MOST favorite days of the year, because it ushers in my favorite season! With the advent of Autumn comes the Changing of the Wardrobe. Time to bring out the sweaters, scarves and boots! This week's Bible study is timely, since I am cleaning out my closet and replacing old clothes with fresh new (or new to me) items. As I remove each old piece, I think of an "old self" attribute that needs to be tossed out along with that old t-shirt. And coming in with those new red pants is a desire to make sure my speech is wholesome and edifying.

Wardrobe Workout

1.  List some reasons why it is so difficult to accomplish change in our spiritual closets.
    ~ Those "old self" attributes come naturally to us, via our sinful nature. It goes against our natural inclination to change to the "new self" attributes. It takes a concentrated effort to act in a godly manner; it is SO EASY to let "nature take its course".

2.  Colossians 3:5-13  Verse 10 spoke most clearly to me: (you) have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator.

How might you respond to Paul's encouragement to put on Christ in your daily life?
~ This is a process - I am being renewed. It isn't instant; becoming that new creation in Christ will take a lifetime and will only be fully accomplished after my body dies. I must keep pursuing the goal of becoming like Christ each day, without giving up, despite the inevitable setbacks.

3.  Key lesson:  Just as I purge my wardrobe of ill-fitting or out-of-date pieces on a regular basis, so also I need to purge my heart of sinful attitudes and behaviors - even MORE often!

4.  Writing out the memory verse (Eph. 4: 22-24)....I missed a phrase in the middle. Oops! Shows I haven't been reviewing my memory work every day this week.

Study Styles

Ephesians 4:22-32 Wardrobe Chart

What Not To Wear

  • Old Self
  • Deceitful desires
  • Falsehood
  • Holding on to anger
  • Theft
  • Unwholesome talk
  • Bitterness, rage, brawling, slander & malice
What To Wear

  • New self
  • True righteousness and holiness
  • Truth
  • Working usefully
  • Helpful talk
  • Kindness & compassion
  • Forgiveness


If you are following this Bible study along with me, I would love to hear your input. Please feel free to comment below.

No comments: