Saturday, September 15, 2012

Thrifty Fashion Saturday

Actually, it's more like "Thrifty Fashion Friday", since that is the day I went thrift shopping, but since I am writing about it today, we'll leave the title as it is.

The Catholic church in Nearby Town didn't have a sale in August, so they had lots of new stuff for this weekend's sale. Sadly, I did not fill my Mary Bag full. This is due to the fact that I will be having a garage sale myself next Saturday, and I don't care to add more clutter when I'm trying to get rid of some clutter. Also, I'm being more choosy about clothing that I purchase, whether thrifted or not. My closet is full to overflowing, and a lot of what's on the hangers isn't even worn much. After my sale is over, and once I'm sure the weather is going to stay fall-like, I plan to cull my closet flock thoroughly.

And so, here are the few items I purchased yesterday:


The cap-sleeve sweater fits well and drapes nicely; it cost 50¢. I'd been looking for a chambray shirt at all my thrifting excursions lately, so was happy to find this one for a quarter. However, it doesn't fit well. Boxy button-up shirts like this tend to pouf out in the back and be tight across my middle. This shirt is behaving just like that. But...I had an idea for an alteration that should hopefully fix the troubled areas. The cookbook, priced at $1, provided excellent reading material as I stood in line waiting to pay for my goodies. I have the 1993 issue of the series on my cookbook shelf already, and knew that this one would provide the same quality recipes, too. And of course, I couldn't resist getting a Thomas the Tank Engine movie for my Boo! Hopefully my dollar won't be wasted on this DVD, as it is somewhat scratched, but as long as it plays, I know he will love it. After I took this photo and put away my purchases, I noticed that I'd forgotten to include the belt I'd found for 50¢. It's a wide black elastic belt with leopard print on the fastening ends. You'll see it worn soon enough.

No yard sales for me to scour for bargains today, sadly. With our main road being closed due to bridge reconstruction, I'm making as few trips to town as possible. The Flint rock on our gravel roads is really hard on tires (Some Postman goes through a lot of tires delivering the mail out here!). I'll try to remember to take my camera along to my sale next Saturday, so you can join me.

Did you find any great deals or bargains this week? Feel free to share!

No comments: