Monday, April 1, 2013

Easter Blessings

Yesterday was Resurrection Sunday, the highest holy day in the Christian church. We celebrated the resurrection of our Savior Jesus Christ! He is risen! Alleluia!

For some reason, there is a lot less fanfare and celebration with Easter than with Christmas. Workplaces don't have Easter parties or bonuses, nor do we hear Easter carols played over loudspeakers or see houses all decked out with Easter decorations. People don't go into debt buying each other piles of Easter gifts. Jesus' birth is a wonderful holiday to celebrate, don't get me wrong, but Easter is what made Christmas important. If Jesus hadn't conquered death, then his birth would have been just another birthday. Easter surely deserves more recognition!

On the other hand...I'm glad Easter hasn't been glitterfied and commercialized like Christmas has. It remains primarily a church holiday, aside from the Easter bunny and colored eggs. Those things are far more celebrations of spring, however. I like that celebrating Easter means spending more time at church, in prayerful consideration of what Jesus did for all of us on the cross, and praising Him for His glorious resurrection.

He is risen indeed! Alleluia!

 Dress and Shrug - Dressbarn
Croft & Barrow Sandals - Kohl's


Butterfly Necklace - gift from friend MA

I don't often buy a dress especially for Easter Sunday, but it so happened that I received a coupon from Dressbarn for an additional 30% off a single clearance item already marked down at least 50%. This dress was the last thing I grabbed off the clearance rack - and the only item that fit and looked fairly decent on me. Normally, I shy away from anything so shape-hugging, but with the proper underthings, this dress actually looks pretty good and feels comfortable, too. Of course, there is no way I'd wear it without a cover-up on top, since it has spaghetti straps. The shrug was purchased last year at the same store, and it happens to match the dress perfectly.

Going back a few days to Maundy Thursday and Good Friday, our church has a special service each evening. We have communion on Thursday evening, in remembrance of that day on which Jesus instituted this sacrament  Everyone leaves the church in silence afterward, then we return in silence Friday evening, as the service is continued. On Good Friday, we read responsively the account of Jesus' last day and his death. Pastor read the narrative, the congregation read the lines spoken by the crowd and/or other groups of people, and individuals read the words spoken by Jesus, Peter, Pilate and others. It was very moving, to me, reading the account in this manner. Saying the words "Crucify Him! Crucify Him!" as part of the crowd reminded me that I was indeed one of those who put Jesus on that cross. My sin called out for Him to be crucified just as much as the crowd did that day. This responsive reading certainly was a thought-provoking way to bring that day to life for me.

Forever dress - thrifted
Purple belt - Walmart
Ribbon flats - Target

While I do not wish to make Easter superficial in any way, by posting pictures of what I wore for the services, I did try to make my clothing a part of the remembrance and celebration. It made the services more meaningful to me, to put my entire self into the worship. I wore the same outfit for both the Maundy Thursday and Good Friday services, because they were considered one continuous worship service. My dress was black, to symbolize my sorrow for my sin and for the death of Jesus. In contrast, my dress for Easter morning was bright and cheerful, showing my joy at Jesus' coming back to life and assuring me of life eternal with Him! My hope is that my life, even my clothing, would honor my Savior. 

Happy Easter! He is risen!

No comments: