Sunday, August 11, 2013

Dress Re-make -- Pass or Fail?

Betsy and I did it. We made a new hemline on that striped dress:


I didn't want the hi-lo hemline to be very drastic, so I kept the front straight across and the curve in the back subtle. I was going to use the rolled hem foot on my sewing machine to make a tiny hem, but it just wouldn't work right with this fabric. Thank goodness I used the trimmed piece on which to practice, because it looked horrible and really messed up the fabric. Jersey knit does not lend itself to a rolled hem, I learned!

Here's how I wore the dress to church this morning:

Unknown brand dress - thrifted
American Eagle bow flats - Payless

An up-close look at the hemline:


I'm not sure that I like it. For one thing, I don't like to wear dresses so short. If I had made a straight hem all the way around, it would have been the length of the tail part all the way around. So, as it is, the dress will probably be worn only around the house from now on. The hi-lo part isn't too bad, in itself, but I think it would look better if it were more of a maxi-dress length.

2 comments:

Grammy Goodwill said...

I like the stripes, but I'm just not a fan of the hi-lo hems. I guess I'm just too stuck in my ways. It looks very comfortable, I must say.

twebsterarmstrong said...

I am partial to below-the-knee hem.