Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Autumn Has Arrived!

Fall is absolutely my favorite season of the year. It's a welcome relief from the heat of summer, the trees are at their loveliest, foods like stews and apple crisp are back on the menu, and my closet comes back to life! Ah, Autumn, welcome back!

It hasn't gotten overly chilly here in the Flint Hills just yet, so I'm not ready to don tights and scarves, but a short-sleeved sweater is comfortable. If I can work up the energy today (I'm fighting a cold), I plan to move the summer shoes up to the top shelves in the closet and bring down the cooler-weather shoes. And BOOTS! Ye-haw! I am SO ready for boots! The most wonderful pair of cognac wide-calf riding boots are waiting to be worn with the best-fitting pair of rust-colored pants I've ever had the privilege to own....but I'm getting ahead of myself. Back to what I wore to church on Sunday....

George sweater top - ??? (either Walmart or thrifted)
Nine & Co. skirt - thrifted

 Premier Designs bracelet - thrifted

Croft & Barrow sandals - Khol's

Earrings - JCP

I have had this olive green sweater top for AGES. It's been in my closet so long, where it came from originally is hard to say. The brand name is George, which is a Walmart brand, so most likely that's where I got it, but it could have been thrifted. A really great feature of this sweater, other than being a classic style, is the threading holes in the neckline. The top came with a matching olive green sheer tie woven thru the holes, but I have switched it out with an olive-and-purple floral silky tie on occasion. For this outfit, I put in a length of ribbon that matches the blue flowers in the skirt. It's really easy to change the look, and somehow, this top has held up quite well over the years.

When I saw this skirt at Goodwill, I was really happy that it fit, thinking it would be quite a workhorse in my wardrobe. Alas, my trusty olive sweater is the ONLY top that looks right with it! Chambray would be terrific, but the one shirt in my closet that is the correct shade is not a style that looks appropriate with the skirt. Maybe I'll find a sweater in my packed-away cool season clothing that will work with it. Do you have any suggestions, dear readers?

Bring on the cold fronts! Goodbye sandals and hello boots! Hooray!

2 comments:

Grammy Goodwill said...

This is a very nice-looking outfit. How smart of you to change the ribbon in the sweater. I love those sandals, too.

Melissa said...

Thank you!