Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Trial and Error

When I saw this skirt at the monthly sale at the Catholic church thrift sale, I fell in love with the colors. It's a good thing it only cost a quarter, because this was the one and only time I'll ever wear it. It will get donated back and someone else can give it a go. While I love the look of long skirts on others, on me it manages to look dowdy. My short roundness is probably the issue. It's challenging to put a little teapot, short and stout, into a cozy made for an iced tea pitcher.

 Lucy & Laurel shirt - thrifted
Chaus skirt - thrifted
Scarf - unsure
Boots - thrifted


I suppose I could simply whack off a foot of this skirt and hem it to the right length for my teapot self, but another issue I discovered once I slid into the front seat of the car -- slick polyester fabric in a wrap skirt is not the best idea! I had to hang onto the front of the skirt or risk scaring everyone with my lily white legs. Yes, a pin strategically placed would hold that wayward flap in check, but I'm just not convinced this skirt is worth all the effort. The colors are great, but that's about the only thing it has going for it. I will say, however, that Chaus must be a fairly good quality brand, seeing as the stripes are matched so well at the seams.

There were other issues with this outfit, also. I'm not convinced this was the best shirt choice to go with the skirt, but it was the only option in my closet other than a t-shirt, which would have been more wrong. And the scarf? Worn like this, it looks like a paperback cover on a Westward-ho dime novel. But wearing it the normal way didn't feel right to me, either. And the boots? They are the one item that looks right with the skirt - but my feet hurt in them, despite the insoles. Thankfully there is a wonderfully comfortable pair of brown cowgirl boots in my closet. I might not need to replace the black ones if I get rid of them. Maybe.

Nope. This outfit just didn't work right.

No comments: