Sunday, December 8, 2013

Advent Season is Here

Merry Christmas, all y'all in blogland! Advent season is upon us, and it is a very busy time of year. Do you have your house decorated, cards mailed, menus planned, gifts purchased and wrapped, cookies baked? No? And you think I do?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, ohhh - HA ha ha!

OK, so yes, I do have a few of those things done: the house is as decorated as it's going to get and I have most of the gift buying done. The rest of it still waits patiently on my to-do list. It will get done eventually. I refuse to stress out about getting it all done and making Christmas "perfect". If you strive for a picture-perfect Christmas that dwells only in Fantasy Land, you're going to be sorely disappointed and bring on the post-holiday blues faster that you can get a licked candy cane stuck in your hair.

Perspective...that's what keeps me from stressing out this time of year. We just laid my dear hero of a Grandpa to rest yesterday, fittingly on Pearl Harbor Day (he was a WWII POW). Last year was our final Christmas with him. This year, he will celebrate Jesus' birth in heaven. Now there's a perfect Christmas for you! Thinking about my Grandpa, I realize that all the decorations, gifts, cookies, etc are nice and wonderful ways to celebrate the season, but they are not what is important. Family, friends, the people you love - they are what is important. And what is most important of all is remembering why Jesus was born in the first place. He came here to save me from sin and death. If all I do this Christmas is sit and ponder that fact and thank Him for his most wonderful gift, then the holiday has been properly celebrated.

On to an outfit...the fluff part of this blog!

This very casual outfit is what I wore to do some grocery and Christmas shopping last week. We had a bit of a reprieve from the Deep Freeze so I was able to wear a lighter coat and actually enjoy dashing between the car and the stores.

 Merona tee - Target
CJ Banks jeans - thrifted
Born mocs - eBay

 Coldwater Creek coat - thrifted


Snowflake earrings - Target, I think
Partridge in a Pear Tree vintage pin - thrifted

This color combination feels festive to me without being overtly Christmas-y. It was fun and comfy to wear while out shopping. That's about all there is to say about such a simple outfit, and so I will leave you with a view of my favorite part of the house decorated for Christmas:





1 comment:

Heather said...

Great post, Melissa! My name is Heather and I wanted to know if you could answer my quick question about your blog! My email is Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com :-)