Tuesday, May 6, 2014

My Grandma's Apron

Those who know me well know that I love aprons. This most likely stems from the fact that my Great-Grandma Nelson always wore an apron, and she was the most wonderful grandma in the world. "Grandma Great" always had cookies in her jar, and one year when my birthday was on or near Easter, she baked me a bunny cake with coconut "fur". She also made the world's best rhubarb sauce.

I have many, many aprons...some that I wear, some that are on display, and some that are tucked away because they are too special or too worn out. My dear mother-in-law made several aprons for me, most of which are no longer worn so they don't fall completely apart. She isn't here to make any more for me, so I want to save what's left of those special aprons. I've made a couple aprons myself, but most of my collection were made by others.  My sweet friend Grammy Goodwill mailed me her own collection of vintage aprons recently. She is moving to a smaller home and remembered my adoration of aprons. I promise that they have a good home here, Grammy!

Aprons don't seem to be all that popular in the fashion world, but that isn't going to stop me from featuring them in my blog. After all, I'm not that popular in the fashion world, myself. I wear what I like, not the latest trends or hottest brands. And I like aprons.

The apron I'm sharing with you today is one that was worn by my other great-grandma, Wilhelmina Clark. I'm not sure if she made it herself or if someone made it for her, but it is a vintage design and fabric. I don't have as many memories of my Great-Grandma Clark, because I didn't spend as much time with her. One thing I do remember: she could recite the Lord's Prayer in German, even after she'd had a stroke and could no longer speak. Granted, her words could not be understood, but the cadence was there, and it was obvious what she was reciting.



Now, because this is one of those "too special to be worn for actual work in the kitchen" aprons, I replaced it with one of my everyday aprons before I began baking my cake. The replacement apron will be shared here eventually! In case you're interested, here is the cake I made:

Snickerdoodle Cake

1 package white cake mix
1 cup milk (I used almond milk)
1/2 cup butter, melted
3 large eggs (I used duck eggs)
1 tsp vanilla (I used one "glug")
2 tsp cinnamon

Heat oven to 350°. Prepare a 9x13 pan by spraying with oil (I use a Pampered Chef spritzer). Combine all ingredients in large mixer bowl and beat well. Pour batter into pan. Bake 32-38 minutes. Cool completely. Frost with Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting:

1/2 cup butter, softened
3 3/4 cups powdered sugar (I dumped in about half a 2lb bag. I'm not big on measuring, as you can tell.)
3-4 Tbsp milk (again, almond milk, and I used 4 Tbsp plus a few splashes to thin it down since I added too much powdered sugar)
1 tsp vanilla (or so)
1 tsp cinnamon (this I measure, because if I try to shake just a little in, a whole bunch comes out of the jar...lesson learned the hard way)

Beat butter till fluffy. Add remaining ingredients. Beat until proper consistency is reached. May need to add a bit more milk or powdered sugar.


No comments: