Friday, July 18, 2014

Vintage Apron and a No-Frosting Cake

Did you think I'd run out of aprons to share with you all? Hardly! In fact, it's doubtful I'll actually feature all of my aprons; not because I have a gazillion of them, but because not all of them are blog-worthy. This vintage half-apron, however, is most definitely deserving of  a post!


My Great-Grandma made this sweet little apron, many years ago. She did all the fancy needlework by hand, of course. It really dresses up the simple gingham, don't you think?


Because of the sentimental value of the apron, it is not worn for practical purposes, so after posing for the above photo, I removed it and put on a different one before commencing to bake. And what did I bake? A cake, of course! A sweet cake, in honor of the sweet apron.


I've prepared this recipe numerous times over the past 20 plus years, as evidenced by the disastrous condition of these pages in the cookbook (Hershey's Homemade, published in 1991). It's the second recipe on the left-hand page, Chocolate Chip Snack Cake. You can see where I've written in changes to the recipe as well as calorie and fat gram counts, from back when I used to care about such things. I no longer substitute applesauce for oil, having learned it greatly diminishes the depth of flavor, but I do still use the reduced amount of chocolate chips. Seems odd coming from ME, I know, but 2 full cups of chocolate chips is just too much for this cake.


Here is the recipe, with my current adaptations:

Chocolate Chip Snack Cake

FILLING (recipe follows)
3 cups all purpose unbleached flour
2 cups sugar
2/3 cups baking cocoa
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 cups water
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
2 Tbsp vinegar (I use Bragg's apple cider vinegar, altho the recipe calls for white.)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
(Nuts do not belong in cake: therefore, I have eliminated them from this recipe. If you insist on putting them in yours, you can add 1/2 cup chopped nuts. But my family prefers our cakes to be nutless.)

Prepare FILLING. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour (or spray with oil spritzer) a 9x13 cake pan. In large mixer bowl, stir together flour, sugar, cocoa, soda and salt. Add water, oil, eggs, vinegar and vanilla; beat on medium speed of electric mixer 2 minutes, until well combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour batter into prepared pan. Drop heaping spoonfuls of FILLING evenly over batter. (This is where you nutty people would sprinkle your nuts over the whole thing. Bleh.) Bake 50 to 55 minutes in center of oven, until cake tester comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack. Cover; store leftovers in refrigerator.

FILLING:
1 - 8 oz pkg cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

In a small bowl, mix together cream cheese, sugar, egg and vanilla; beat until smooth. Stir in chocolate chips.


One nice thing about this recipe is that it needs no frosting. It's amazing just the way it is! It's especially tasty in the summer time, because it's kept cold in the refrigerator. This cake has been a family favorite for a long time, and will continue to be served to my loved ones for years to come.


3 comments:

Bflowers said...

I didn't know great grandma did the needle work on that apron! How special!
That cake looks so yummy! How I wish I could have joined you on your porch for a sweet snack and a sweet chat! I miss you so!

Melissa G said...

Well, I'm 90% certain Great-Grandma did the needlework. :) I was told she did, anyway. Oh, it would be SO nice if you could join me on my porch for a visit and a snack! We really need a sisters' day!

Anonymous said...

That needlework is beautiful. How special it makes that apron. Your cake sounds delicious. We are eating everything in the cabinets and freezer so we won't have to move it. All the good stuff is gone! (You know, the snacks that are bad for us, cookies, etc.)