Sunday, August 31, 2014

What to Wear When Your Thermostat is Wonky

This summer, I had an epiphany. Polyester fabric is the enemy of a woman with a temperamental body temperature. Even cotton/poly blends are unpleasant. And so I have been purging polyester from my wardrobe the past few weeks. It's amazing how much polyester was lurking in my closet and dresser! I'm keeping most of the skirts and pants that are made of the offending fabric, and a dress or two, because it's less of a problem for the lower half, but not a single shirt  has survived the cull. (I'm wondering now just how comfortable my cashmere sweaters will be this fall and winter...)

As a result of this culling, several gaps have formed in my wardrobe, so I've begun filling those gaps with items made of breathable fabrics. 100% cotton is the best, but a cotton/rayon blend is fine, as well as most 100% rayon. Silk is wonderful, also, but I have not found anything other than the cotton/silk blend shirt featured in my previous blog post. One tee in my shirt drawer is made from bamboo; it is just as cool and breathable as cotton, but drapes nicer. The dress I wore to church today is 100% cotton and will be easy to layer once cooler weather arrives in the Flint Hills.


I forgot to have Some Postman take a photo of the back of the dress; it has buttons going halfway down. Even the eBay seller forgot to include a photo of the back of the dress, so that was a nice little surprise for me. Since the dress is sleeveless, I almost decided against getting it, but then I remembered the black polka dot maxi dress I found at Goodwill. This dress is another good example of why I need to get over my fear of showing my chubby arms. They really aren't as bad as I imagine them to be.


Oh, and look! The dress has pockets! You can't go wrong with a dress bearing pockets.

Charter Club dress - eBay
K9 by Rocketdog shoes - thrifted
Earrings - thrifted
Bracelet - Walmart





2 comments:

Grammy Goodwill said...

I mostly wear cotton for the same reason. I've even switched to cotton sweaters. I really like that black dress. Pockets just make it even better. What a great buy.

lantabmom said...

Love the dress and I'm in agreement with the polyester material.