Thursday, October 30, 2014

Fashion for a Cause

What a blur the past week or so has been! My blogging goals are certainly not being met, but I'm determined to keep plugging away at them. When things get busy or complicated, I tend to think I should discontinue the blog...but it brings me joy when I do have time for it. So my posts aren't as frequent as I'd like them to be, but at least I'm writing once in a while.

This outfit was worn a few weeks ago to church. I'm glad I have time today to write about it, because the earrings I wore have a very special meaning behind them that is quite timely. This coming Sunday, November 2, is "Orphan Sunday", a day in which many churches, ours included, will be raising awareness of the need of adoption and care of orphans around the world. Two families in our congregation are in the process of adopting children overseas. They have both held various fundraisers over the past few months, one of which is the sale of some lovely jewelry.


Outfit details: Xhileration dress ~ Target; St Johns Bay tee ~ JC Penney's; scarf ~ thrifted; socks ~ Target; St Johns Bay boots ~ JC Penney's.




The jewelry is the most important part of the outfit, of course. The bracelet and earrings that I purchased are made from upcycled materials (even the earring tag is cut from a Cheezits box!) by Haitian parents working to provide for their families so they won't have to give up their children. The jewelry is very affordable; half the funds go to the Apparent Project and half to the White family for their adoption. You can read more about the Apparent Project here, and follow along with the Whites in their adoption journey here. If you would like to buy some of the jewelry to benefit the Whites, you may contact them on their blog page, or you may contact me and I will get in touch with them for you.

No comments: