Thursday, January 29, 2015

Thoughtful Thursday, Birthday Edition

Today is my daughter's birthday. She was born on a blustery cold day in Kansas - it snowed or sleeted or some such frozen precipitation, as I recall. I really didn't care too much about the weather that day. Delivering a healthy baby was the only thing on my mind!

Min was born nearly five weeks before her due date, and yet she was 6 lbs 15 oz, 19 inches long. She was slightly jaundiced, so spent a few hours under the lights, but it was nothing to be concerned over. The biggest issue we had was that she did not nurse right away; a baby must begin suckling within 24 hours of birth or extra measures must be taken. Min has always done things on her own time table, and she ate when she decided it was time - about an hour before the "deadline". That's my girl!

Now my baby girl is all grown up, a mother herself. The turbulent teen years are over; she and I now enjoy a great friendship. She comes to me for advice occasionally,  and I hope my advice is good, but most of the time we just chat about what's going on in our lives. Like girlfriends do! Having a daughter is like growing your own best friend.

I love you, Min, daughter of mine!


3 comments:

Grammy Goodwill said...

Happy birthday to your daughter. I love "growing your own best friend". That's exactly what it's like.

lantabmom said...

I love that analogy too. "Growing your own best friend" I can't believe God gave me 3!!

Melissa G said...

I know, right? :) And Leah, you are triple blessed - you'll have three best friends when your girls grow up!