Thursday, January 22, 2015

Thoughtful Thursday - What's On My Mind

I woke up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom (nothing unusual about that) and began thinking of what I might write about today. As I crawled back under the blankets, I forced myself to abandon those thoughts, because if I didn't, I'd never get back to sleep and would be too sleepy to think coherently enough to write. As a result, I'm writing off the top of my head this morning. I had a cuppa Darjeeling, though, so I'm wide awake. Let's see what's going on in this housewife's brain!

First of all, let me give you a follow up on last week's Thoughtful Thursday post. While I was out grocery shopping on Tuesday, I purchased a pack of Subway gift cards to keep in my purse, in case I saw someone holding a sign asking for help. As I made my way from Dillons to Walmart, guess what I saw on the corner? Sure enough, a young lady holding a sign - she has four kids and any help is appreciated. It felt SO good to be able to pull up next to her and hand her one of the Subway cards! Thank you, God, for giving me an opportunity so quickly, and that I followed through on my plans so I would be ready to help.

Facebook asks "What's on your mind?" in the status update box. What's been on my mind lately? My little old lady dog, Abby. I watched a few You Tube videos of Dachshunds the other day and it made me want to post some of my own puppy dog videos. Unfortunately, this computer is new enough that I've only got very recent videos of Etta uploaded onto it, none of the videos of Abby. So I went to my Facebook videos to figure out if I could send them to You Tube somehow. It turns out that I'm not smart enough to do that, but I did enjoy watching all those old videos. Sure brought back some happy memories! And it made me miss my little old lady dog.

While I couldn't upload any of those old videos, I did figure out how to get a link to them. If I did it correctly, you should be able to view the one of Abby singing and dancing for her breakfast. Photos are easy! Here's one of my favorite pics of both dogs:


Etta is on the left, Abby on the right, looking down. She wasn't sure she liked being up in the mailbox, so I had to be quick with the camera!

The kids have suggested that we get another Dachshund, a pet for Etta, but she is quite happy being the only Princess Dachshund in the house since Abby went to dog heaven. I'm not certain it would be safe for a new puppy to occupy the same space as Etta Pooka. She used to snap at poor old Abby once in a while, so I can only imagine how she would treat a new dog. I think it's best if we remain a one-dog-at-a-time household. Besides, she has her kitty friends outside to play with.

Will I get another dog after Etta joins Abby in heaven? We talked about not getting another dog after Etta, so that we would be able to travel easier. But we don't travel often, and I do enjoy Etta's company as I putter around the house. So maybe I will want another Dachshund. Let's hope I don't need to decide on that for a good long time yet. Etta will be 10 years old in March; she should have at least another 5 years of snuggles and silliness to share with me.





No comments: