Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Edible Easter Memories

Each year for our Easter meal, I like to make a gelatin salad of some sort, in memory of Some Postman's mom. She made those special salads often, not only for holiday meals, but also for many Sunday dinners, church potlucks, family reunions and funeral lunches. Gelatin salads aren't part of my regular menus, but I do make one in honor of Mom G on Easter.

Please forgive the unappetizing photo below. Despite my numerous attempts to capture this salad in all its glory, I was unsuccessful. It really does taste much better than it looks!


Gingered Orange Salad

1.5 cups boiling orange juice
1 (6 oz) pkg orange gelatin
2 cups ginger ale
2 (15 oz) cans mandarin oranges, drained
1.5 cups cottage cheese

Stir gelatin into orange juice until well dissolved; cool to room temp. Stir in ginger ale. Chill until slightly set; fold in oranges and cottage cheese. Chill until fully set.

Of course, I did not follow the original recipe exactly. For one thing, it called for 1/2 cup chopped celery, which I did NOT add. Celery does not belong in jello, if you ask me! Because I didn't add that, I increased the amount of oranges from 11 oz cans to 15 oz cans. Also, I didn't measure the cottage cheese; I just plopped big scoops of it in until it looked right. I'm not big into measuring. Oh, and just a hint....if you chill the ginger ale first, it's really going to fizz up when you pour into into the gelatin mixture! Of course, maybe it fizzes a lot even if it's not chilled, but that was my experience. So it might be a good idea to use a big bowl in the first place. That way you won't have to quickly dump it from a smaller bowl into a bigger one before the stuff spills over the brim all over the place. (Yes, I avoided disaster, but only just barely!) 

Somehow, I doubt my mother-in-law had the same troubles in the kitchen as me. She probably followed the recipe.

And so we raise our spoons to you, Mom G! Thank you for all the sweet memories shared around your table and in your kitchen. I'm doing my best to feed love to our family and friends in the same way, around the same table. I love that connection I still have with you, even though you're in heaven now. Food is love!

 

3 comments:

Grammy Goodwill said...

I love this post. What a thoughtful thing to do.

Grammy Goodwill said...

This is so strange. I couldn't comment on yesterday's post but could on today's. So I decided to try yesterday's again. Nope, I still couldn't. Then I couldn't add another comment here, but fortunately, I still had the screen minimized so that's how I wrote this.

Melissa G said...

I think there's a gremlin who lives in the Blogger comments html or whatever that stuff is. Even tho I have notifications activated, I *still* don't get any when YOU post a comment! Only you, Grammy Goodwill - cuz you're special! ;) Also, I can only post comments on Blogger pages that have the comments open to a new page. So weird...