Friday, June 19, 2015

Down the Road a Piece ~ Adventures in Thrifting

The photo file containing the pictures below got kind of lost, so these items didn't get included in the previous post. That's OK, actually, since that post was lengthy enough. And it gives me fodder for today!

Z-town, five miles down the road a piece, held a community-wide yard sale one drizzly day a couple of weeks ago. Thankfully the heavy rain held off until later in the day. We were able to stay mostly dry as we browsed folks' treasures on their front porches and in their garages. Since Z-town is a teeny tiny spot on the road (smaller even than W-town, where we live!) several miles from the nearest actual city, not many shoppers made the drive out of town. Too bad for them...I found a LOT of great stuff!


I have needed a roll-y desk chair forever! My back hurts far less now that I've got a comfy chair in which to sit at my computer. While the vintage captain's chair I'd been using is pretty, it's not good for office use.

The story books are 1970s vintage - as old as me! Ha ha. I briefly considered selling them on eBay, but they don't bring much there, especially in their well-loved condition, and they are happy to reside on my bookshelf. The glare in the photo makes it challenging to read the titles. They are:  The Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown, It's A Mystery, Charlie Brown by Charles M. Schulz, and The Best Nest by P. D. Eastman.

The large basket was a very timely find! I've been in need of a way to organize magazine back issues for the church library. One of those wall-mounted wood racks was my first preference, but my budget was cut drastically this year, so even a $40 purchase is out of the question. A friend suggested using a large basket to hold the mags and keep it underneath one of the end tables in the seating area. Great idea...but I didn't have a large basket other than my laundry basket, which is plastic and in my use. So when I spotted this big basket for $3, I snapped it up! It works perfectly!

The green footed bowl was not a purchase. One of the Z-town ladies having a sale is a friend of mine, and she knows that I collect Frankoma. Instead of putting a price tag on it, she gave it to me as a gift! Wasn't that sweet of her? It is a Plainsman pattern footed bowl or planter, marked "Frankoma 22S" on the bottom, and the glaze is Prairie Green. It is currently residing on the wood stove in the living room. I love it! Thank you, P!



Ever since I bought a pair of sparkly pink Converse (ten years ago?), I have wanted another pair of unique Chucks, but have been unwilling to fork over the cash required. These are Ed Hardy sneaks, not Converse, but they are the very same style. They are super cute! And pretty comfortable, too, although they are lacking arch support, the same as Converse. I've tried wearing my special insoles, but they tend to make the shoes too tight. As long as I'm not wearing them for an extended period of time, though, they are fine.


The thought of selling these Sperry Topsiders (and the Ed Hardys, above) did cross my mind, but only very, very briefly. Sure I could make a bit of a profit on them, but they fit perfectly, are quite comfortable, and SO cute! How can I resist black sequined boat shoes? I cannot, I just cannot. Especially since the price per pair was a mere $2.

A few more items were purchased at the Z-town sales, but since they are destined to be gifts or to be sold on eBay, I didn't photograph them. Tomorrow is Saturday...the day for adventures in thrifting! I'm sure I'll wake up bright and early, as I have been since the birds began chirping at 4:30 am in these parts, so I plan to grab a bite of breakfast, fill up a water thermos and drive into town to hunt bargains!



2 comments:

Grammy Goodwill said...

I had never heard of Frankoma pottery until you and now I can recognize it.
Funny story about the rolly chair - I had one as a teacher and I had more almost falls out of it that I finally sent it to storage and took a student's chair for my desk. Short legs were my downfall.
Those sneakers look like fun!

Melissa G said...

Do you find Frankoma out in your neck of the woods? It's a fairly common pottery around here, since it originated in Oklahoma.

This rolly chair is adjustable, so I can put it at just the right height for my short-legged self! :)