Monday, July 13, 2015

The Final Frontier

I took a vacation. For real! Some Postman surprised me with the news a couple of months ago that he'd made arrangements for us to travel to Michigan to meet (for the first time in person!) my pen-pal and "sisterchick", MA. We made that trip the week before Independence Day. It was SO wonderful to see her face to face, and to meet her family as well. We made the most of the time we had together!


Of course, taking a vacation meant that it took me an entire week after returning home to get caught up on everything and back into the swing of things. But I'm back at it now, so hopefully I will keep up with regular posts.

This summer, graphic tees have captured my attention. There are some really terrific ones out there, and many of them are 100% cotton. Can't have enough of that in my wardrobe! I found a bunch of super cool tees on Modcloth that are adorable, but alas, they are too highly priced for my frugal self. Thrift stores and yard sales haven't yielded any great finds yet, but I did nab this awesome shirt on eBay recently:


Did you know that I'm a Trekkie? Oh yeah...maybe not a costume-wearing, convention-going fan, but I do enjoy watching old Star Trek reruns on MeTV on Saturday nights, much to my husband's chagrin. I remember watching the show with my Daddy when I was young, too. Some Postman and I used to watch Star Trek Next Generation and Voyager before we moved out here to the Flint Hills and lost access to that particular TV station. (He likes the newer shows, just not so much the original. Too much bad acting, I guess! LOL)

This shirt will probably get more wear over the fall and winter, because it's black. I've learned it is a bad idea to wear a black shirt in the heat of summer. Bad, bad, bad. But once it's cooled off again, I'll be ready to show off my awesome Star Trek shirt!

2 comments:

Mia said...

It's such a shame that so many of the vintage graphic tees I find at the thrift store are pilled up and in bad condition; new, they'd selling like the overpriced Modcloth ones! I can see so many twentysomethings clamoring after this one as a crop top, for instance:

https://twitter.com/figwiggin/status/596811495557607424

I do love that Trek shirt. Growing up, my best friend's dad was a Trekkie (even had a costume for conventions!), but I never watched much of it until the past few years. The Original Series is so cheesy that I can't help but love it, and Mike is very fond of Captain Picard. The different iterations of the show were groundbreaking in so many ways!

Melissa G said...

Oh goodness, yes, that shirt would go like hotcakes! :D And I think you've nailed it...the original Star Trek is indeed so cheesy you can't help yourself. Kind of like a dog that is so ugly it's cute. Ha ha!