Saturday, August 8, 2015

You Bet Your Biscuits!

Remember those sad hockey-puck looking biscuits from a few weeks ago? The ones made with coconut oil?


I suppose it was worth the experimentation to draw the conclusion that no further tweaking of the recipe is necessary.

This, my friends, is what biscuits should look like:



Some Postman had sausage gravy over his biscuits for breakfast this morning; I had mine with butter and honey. So, so tasty!

I've baked biscuits from scratch for so long that I no longer refer to a recipe, and I don't even remember where I found the original recipe. This is approximately how I made today's batch:

2 cups all purpose flour, unbleached
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
6 Tbsp real butter, no substitutions
1/4 - 1/3 cup wheat bran
1 cup buttermilk

Heat oven to 450° F. Stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter, using a pastry blender. Add wheat bran; stir. Mix in buttermilk just until all dry ingredients are incorporated. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead a few times to get the gluten activated. Pat out into a circle about 3/4 inch thick; cut out biscuits and place on stoneware. Bake about 12 minutes or until golden brown.

I've done a lot of experimenting with this basic recipe over the years, using whole wheat flour, trying various fats, substituting almond milk. Whole wheat flour tends to make them heavy; adding wheat bran to regular white flour adds the heartiness of wheat without the weight. Butter is far superior to any fat I've tried (shortening, margarine, coconut oil). Almond milk was...okay...but the biscuits didn't get nice and fluffy the way I like them. No more changes! The recipe is perfect just the way it is.

I think I'm going to go nibble on another biscuit now....

No comments: