Thursday, November 5, 2015

The Annual Wearing of the Fall Maxi Skirt

A few years ago, I found a beautiful floral maxi skirt in colors that sing FALL to me. I'm pretty sure I paid a whopping 25¢ for it. The fabric is simply gorgeous and the skirt fits me nicely, too. Finding a top to go with it has proven to be a challenge, and I have no idea why! There are so many colors in the skirt from which to choose, and yet nothing in my closet actually matches. And so I end up coordinating colors awkwardly, wearing the skirt once during the fall season and letting it languish until the next fall, frustrated at my shortcomings. There's something about the browns in the fabric that refuse to mate up with any other brown on the planet! What I'd love to pair with my fall skirt is a sweater in that lovely shade of dark red - not the color of the roses in the print, but the subtle red meandering with the brown in the background.

This year's attempt at creating an outfit with my Fall Skirt was moderately successful. The shell-pink button down shirt coordinates fairly well, although I'm not certain I like the high contrast between the dark skirt and very light shirt. It was absolutely better than the cocoa brown sweater top I'd thrifted over the summer in hopes it would match (it doesn't - at all! - and the sweater is all droopy and baggy on me now, for some reason). Some Postman suggested adding a belt to the outfit to tie the two pieces together, and by gum, he was right. I do believe the man is learning a bit about fashion! LOL

 Outfit details: skirt, shirt, belt, pin - thrifted;
earrings - gift from hubby; 
purse - handmade by church friend;

 Do you see Some Postman's shadow on my shirt? :)

 Can you spot the photo-bombing kitty?




This purse never fails to prompt the question "Where did you get that?!" It's one of a kind...designed and made by an older lady from church. Just about everyone in our LWML group carries one of Mary's purses; she has made hundreds of them, I'm sure! Aside from the whimsical print, what I love about this purse is the bazillion POCKETS it has. There's a pocket for everything, including a pen!


Fringe is a trend for fall that I have embraced. In small ways. That's how I prefer to sport trends. After several years of blogging, trying to figure out what my style is, there is one point I've finally gotten nailed down:  trends, for me, should be done in small doses. So, while I won't wear a full-out fringe dress, I will wear ankle boots adorned with a double layer of fringe. On a side note, it took two weeks of airing them out before I could actually put on these boots. The chemical smell of the fake leather was atrocious!

2 comments:

Jen @ Librarian for Life and Style said...

Yes, the brown belt really pulls the outfit together! I like your idea of finding a reddish sweater to go with the skirt. :)

Melissa G said...

Thanks, Jen! So far, I've had no luck finding a reddish sweater...but I'll keep hunting.