Wednesday, January 27, 2016

A Week of Awesomeness

This week is turning out to be super-fun! God's mercies are new every morning, of course, for which I am so very thankful. But some days, you get to put something on your schedule that makes you smile every time you think about it. And each day this week has had or will have had an activity for me to enjoy and/or look forward to doing. (Thanks, God, for filling my week with happy faces!)

Sunday...
...was Church Day! Filled with singing, praise, worship, and fellowship, Sunday always starts off the week on the right foot. I'm really getting a lot out of the Bible study during Sunday School hour; we're doing Rick Warren's "Transformed" series. This week's chapter was on emotional health. To me, it seems very closely related to last week's mental health; both chapters emphasize keeping our minds focused on God, trusting Him with our futures, and not worrying. The peace that God gives is incredible! 'Peace' is my one-word study for this year, so I'm paying close attention.

Even though it's rather frivolous in comparison to the important spiritual aspects, I was very happy with the outfit I put together to wear to church. I wanted to participate in this week's Style Imitating Art challenge; it turned out quite nice, I think! The inspiration piece was Ansel Adams' 1958 photograph "Aspens, Northern New Mexico".


My outfit interpretation:

 

Monday...
...I had a mammogram. Sure, I suppose most women wouldn't say that was awesome. Or fun. And it wasn't fun, exactly, but it wasn't horrible. The fun part was supposed to be afterward; I had plans to meet a friend for lunch. But...she had to cancel. Still not great, huh? Well, since I wasn't going to have some girlfriend time, I decided to shop at a couple of stores I rarely visit because they are on the opposite side of town I typically frequent. That was fun! At Marshall's, I bought an organizer wallet with detachable cross-body strap on clearance for $10. My stroll through Target was almost a bust, until I wandered into the coffee appliance aisle. The Bella Single Serve Dual Brew coffee maker was on sale - and I've been wanting to replace my aging drip brewer for a while. The nice thing about the Bella is that it can use either Kcups (any kind!) or the included filter basket. While the Bella Dual Brew has mixed reviews online, I am finding it perfect for my needs and enjoy it very much.

Tuesday...
...We made plans to go out for a late lunch / early supper as soon as Some Postman got home from work. Tuesday is typically a lighter mail load day, so he gets home around 2:00 pm. We had a coupon to use at Pizza Ranch, only to discover it was closed when we arrived! Neither of us had eaten much since breakfast, so we were far too hungry to finish our other errands and just eat when we got back home. My being vegetarian seriously limits where we can go out to eat, but anyplace that serves Mexican food is usually a good option. And so we went to Carlos O'Kelly's. We were the only patrons in the restaurant the entire time we were there! Kind of nice, actually. When our waiter learned my food restrictions, he produced a vegetarian menu, which I didn't know they had. We enjoyed our meal, and while it probably won't be a regular eating spot for us, it's definitely on the "veg-friendly options" list.

Wednesday (today)...
...turns out to be National Chocolate Cake Day! There's a day for everything, you know! In honor of this most delicious observance, I baked an Old Fashioned Hershey's Chocolate Cake with One Bowl Buttercream Frosting, all from scratch. This was the first opportunity I've had to use my recently purchased aluminum round cake pans, and I am very happy with the results. After all these years wondering why my round cakes had a tendency to come out dry on the outer rim and sink in the middle, I learned that my dark, non-stick cake pans were the culprit! Get some heavy-grade aluminum cake pans, people. They aren't very expensive and are totally worthwhile.



Thursday (tomorrow)...
...has three fun things on the agenda. First, Pilates. While sorting out workout DVDs I can no longer use due to my bum foot, I found a Leslie Sansone Pilates DVD that I forgot I had. It's terrific! It's so nice to have something other than riding Marcy (stationary bike) or practicing yoga, as much as I love them both. Variety is good! The second fun thing to do tomorrow is running errands in Little Town, including a visit to the library and a pop-in at the thrift store. The third item on the list is the funnest - it's Book Club night! We had to postpone book club due to the snow last Thursday, but the snow has mostly melted now. Our hostess requested that we read a non-fiction book from the 500 section of the library; I read a fascinating book about snails - "The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating", by Elisabeth Tova Bailey. Book Club is a highlight of my month. We are a close group of friends and always have a grand time together!

Friday...
...a neighbor friend (who is also in book club) is hosting a Girls' Night at her house. It will be like Round Two of book club, I'm sure, except we probably won't talk about books! Friday is also my daughter's 25th birthday, but I'll celebrate that with her on...

...Saturday.
Min has requested Grandma's Chicken Casserole and my Bread Pudding as her birthday meal, so I will prepare both dishes and take them to her house in the morning. The casserole must sit in the fridge all day, so she can bake it fresh for supper in the evening. I think she and I might go out for coffee, if Baby Miss Pie is cooperative.

Finally, next Sunday...
...We will make our annual visit to our Hometown, go to worship service at the church Some Postman grew up in, and peruse the local antique shops. I'm hoping to score a piece or two of Frankoma pottery; Some Postman might find a crock to add to his collection. In the evening, we'll go back to the church for their soup supper and catch up with some old friends.

Not all of my arrangements this week turned out exactly the way I'd expected, and it's likely that the days to come might change a bit from how I've planned them out. But that's OK! Sometimes the unexpected things are the best things. Enjoy life! Each day is an adventure!

2 comments:

lantabmom said...

I love this blog. Even though some things didn't turn out the way you'd planned, you kept positive about how they did turn out. And, by the way, I'll be in hometown by Sunday!! Probably unloading a uhaul, but I'll be there! Have a great time at your book club and girls night, that sounds fun!

Melissa G said...

It makes me so warm and fuzzy inside to know that you enjoy my blog, L! My hope is that my writing is positive and makes those who read it smile. :)