Sunday, January 17, 2016

Cooking Adventures: Sweet Potato and Kale Frittata with Goat Cheese

One of my goals this year is to try new recipes, both vegetarian for myself and meaty for Some Postman. I did one of each this past week, and they both turned out pretty good! Of course, I didn't actually sample the Chicken Parmigiana I made for SP, but he said it was tasty and he won't mind if I make it again.

The vegetarian recipe I made last week was Sweet Potato and Kale Frittata with Goat Cheese, which was printed in the December 2015 issue of Vegetarian Times magazine. My friend and neighbor, T, gave me a year's subscription to Veg Times as a gift and I have a LONG list of recipes among those pages that I plan to try!

Rather than type out the recipe here, I'm including a link to the Vegetarian Times website:



My frittata turned out delicious! I did make a couple of changes from the original recipe, but they are minor. First of all, I could not figure out why the Dijon mustard should be divided (and apparently other people noticed the goof, too - no one knows why it says "divided"!), and I didn't have Dijon, so I substituted brown mustard. I didn't measure it, either, but that's nothing new. Ha ha! 



Kale is not appealing to me. When I was a waitress at the local steak house way back when, kale was used to decorate the salad bar; people didn't eat it! I've tried to like the stuff, since it's now considered a "super food", but I simply can't get past the fact it's tough and tastes like leaves. Thick, fibrous leaves. Bleh! Even in soup, it's tough and stringy. So I considered subbing the kale in this recipe for spinach. But you know how spinach gets all limp and slimy when it's cooked? Yeah, that didn't seem appealing. Instead, I decided to try baby kale. Which turned out to be a great idea! Baby kale is tender without being slimy after being cooked. Adult kale is just yucky. 

Another change I made is to use a regular skillet. I despise non-stick pans, so I just sprayed my RevereWare skillet with plenty of olive oil and the frittata came out of it just fine, thankfully. I did have to leave mine in the oven longer than 10 minutes, but I do prefer my eggs cooked more firmly than most folks. 

Not only was the frittata delicious when I first made it, but the leftovers have been just as delightful! This one is a keeper! 



4 comments:

Bflowers said...

I love kale cooked in soups and casseroles! Since buying it in bunches from the produce department ends in it going bad before I use it all, I get the frozen kale. Raw kale is tough and bitter to me.

Grammy Goodwill said...

This recipe looks good, but I love kale and sweet potatoes both.

Melissa G said...

I may freeze the rest of my baby kale; thanks for the tip on frozen kale, Bev. I didn't know it was available that way. But it makes sense. :)

I bet you would LOVE this dish, Grammy, since you're already fond of the featured veggies! It's amazing for breakfast, too.

lantabmom said...

Sounds like something I'd like to try, I too am not a Kale fan, but sounds like you figured out a way to eat it!