Thursday, January 21, 2016

Creativity 2016: Repurposing Chipped Frankoma

One of my goals for this year is to engage in more creativity, whether that is writing, sewing, baking, or anything else that involves making something. We had an unseasonably warm couple of days last week, and I took advantage of the sunny 55° weather to finish a project that had been in progress for several weeks.

A friend gave me an airplane plant (also called spider plant) last summer, and it did quite well in our screened-in porch. After the nights turned chilly, I brought the plant indoors and placed it on a high shelf in the bathroom. There is a skylight in that room (no windows, as it is in the center of the house) and is ideal for wintering over plants. Before long, that little airplane plant sprouted some babies! I picked off four of the shoots and placed them in a dish of water to root.

Some time ago, our insurance agent gave me a box full of Frankoma dishes he'd picked up at a flea market. He  remembered that I collect the pottery; how nice of him! Well, sadly, most of the coffee cups were chipped. I can't bear to throw away any Frankoma, even if it is damaged. For example, I even bought some cracked/chipped trays at an antique store. Thankfully, the trays came with perfectly intact soup bowls, and the price was ultra cheap. We use the soup bowls as intended, and one of the chipped trays serves as a food dish for the barn cats. I used another of the trays to hold part of my plant project. There are two more chipped trays...wonder what I should do with them?

Back to those warm days last week... I thawed out the bag of potting soil (it had frozen in the barn) and then potted those baby airplane plants in some of the chipped Frankoma mugs. I am quite pleased with my little repurposing project!


I left the baby plants on the porch to catch some warm rays before bringing back in the house. Now they add life to my sewing room and a corner of the living room.




This creative project reminds me of a comforting passage of Scripture:

But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us.                                                                                                                     2 Corinthians 4:7

1 comment:

lantabmom said...

That's awesome, I love it. It's so pretty!