Friday, January 1, 2016

Farewell, 2015; Hello, 2016!

It is December 31st as I begin to write this post. The last day of the year 2015. I spent the day taking down most of the Christmas decor (I will leave up the wreaths and snowmen for a while) and cleaning up fake pine needles. As I put away my Christmas card record book (it's vintage 1970s, given to me by my mother-in-law, and I used the last column in the final pages this year...so sad!), I read all the 'year in review' letters I've written - and thankfully saved - since 2003. I don't write a newsletter each year, but every 2-3 years I make the effort. It's only half a page and sums up the major life events in our family over the past year. A lot has happened and changed over the years, for sure. In 2003, my kids were in 5th and 6th grades; in 2015, we have two grandchildren. What changes are in store over the next 10-15 years?

I considered making a 'favorite outfits of the past year' post...but I will spare you. The reason I started blogging my outfits was so that I'd put more effort into my appearance and figure out my personal style. Looking back on the blog, from the beginning to now, I can see that my style is becoming more defined. There really isn't much need to document my outfits anymore, but I do find it fun, so I'll keep it up. OK, just for fun, here's my favorite outfit of 2015:



There were a couple of very significant events that occurred in 2015. The best one, of course, was the birth of my granddaughter on October 1st! She is SO precious and we love her to pieces. She completes our family in the nicest way! The other significant thing was personal growth in a very specific area of my life. Early in the year, I finally made peace with my size and shape; I've never been skinny and I never will be. That's perfectly fine. I'm happy and healthy, and I no longer care what size my clothes are. While I'm at peace with my size/shape, I was not at peace with my relationship with food, so I got involved in a Thin Within online support group in late August. It's a work still in progress, of course, but improvements have been made. It is getting easier NOT to use food (even healthy food) to stuff my feelings. My goal with this isn't to lose weight; my goal is to be at peace with both my body and with food. Nonetheless, I won't fuss about the 7.5 lbs that have vacated my personal space as a result!

That brings me to goals for 2016. No, I do NOT make resolutions; I despise resolutions. I will set GOALS - targets for which I will aim, and not beat myself up if I miss. According to the site StatisticBrain.com, the top ten resolutions for 2015 were:

  1. Lose weight
  2. Get organized
  3. Spend less, save more
  4. Enjoy life to the fullest
  5. Stay fit and healthy
  6. Learn something exciting
  7. Quit smoking
  8. Help others in their dreams
  9. Fall in love
  10. Spend more time with family
The percentage of people who actually succeed in achieving their resolutions? A measly 8%! A resolution is a "firm decision to do or not to do something"; a goal is the "object of a person's ambition or effort; an aim, or desired result". Not keeping a resolution makes a person feel like a failure; the same can happen if you don't reach a goal, of course, but it just seems like the path to goals is less rigid and more about the journey. And sometimes, when you reach the goal, you discover that it isn't always exactly what you expected; sometimes it's much better!

Anyway....here are the goals I've been mulling over for the year ahead:

Scale back on eBay sales.
As much as I enjoy hunting for bargains at yard sales and thrift stores, then turning them over for a profit on eBay, it has become more time consuming and less fun. It will take some exercise in self control to hold back my 'flip gene', but I'm determined to have more time for my other goals.

Be creative!
This includes writing more posts on the blog in the non-clothing categories, as well as spending time in the little room next door to the office. (It needs a better name! I've called it my craft room or sewing room, but it's more than both of those...it's my creative space. Hey! I think I'll call it my Studio. That makes me sound like an artist! I'm not, but by calling myself an artist, perhaps I'll become one.) I want to get more creative in the kitchen, also. It's become clear that I prepare dishes for Some Postman and myself that are too large, especially since we usually each have our own. (I'm vegetarian and he's a carnivore.) I need to learn how to cook small. Should be fun!

Find balance.
'Balance' is the word that first came to mind when I began thinking of a word for 2016. Words of the year in the past have been TRUST, SEEK, and EAT/FOOD. These words are ones that I would focus on in life and study in the Bible over the year. No word chose me for 2015, so I wasn't sure if one would make itself known for 2016, either. The more I consider it, the more I think this year will be two words...BALANCE and PEACE. They are kind of related, after all. I'd like to achieve more balance in my everyday life and in my yoga practice. Peace is something the entire world needs, and the best way for it to spread is to start in one person who shares it with others. Jesus offers "peace that exceeds all understanding" (Phil. 4:7). And so I will seek balance and peace in 2016.

As I wrap up writing and editing this post, it is January 1st, 2016...the first blank slate in a 366 page book (this is a leap year!). I like what I've written so far....


No comments: