Monday, January 11, 2016

This is Important!

Have you ever had a bit of God's Word shown to you three times in a very short span of time, from three different sources? That happened to me today. I believe God is hollering, "This Is Important!" OK, I'm listening...

Here is the passage God is flashing in neon lights to me today:

 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.  1 Corinthians 6:19-20

First appearance:
My Sunday morning Bible study group is studying Rick Warren's series "Transformed", and yesterday we looked at the second session, on physical health. The Scripture on which this chapter is based is 1 Cor. 6:19-20. What stood out to me in this lesson:  Jesus not only forgave me of my sins on the cross, He also redeemed my BODY and my soul! Jesus died a physical death and his physical body was raised back to life in his resurrection. Therefore, my physical body is also redeemed and will be raised to life. My body belongs to God; taking care of it is an act of worship (of God, not myself!).


Second appearance:
I'm a member of an online weight loss support group, Thin Within; it's a grace-oriented Biblical approach to reaching your God-given size. This week, we are studying the second chapter of the first workbook. The Bible passage under the heading? You guessed it! 1 Cor. 6:19-20. What impacted me from reading this week's lesson:  My body is God's temple, His dwelling place. I am a steward of this temple, and it is my responsibility to take the best care of it possible. God made my body in His image; nothing He created is to be hated! I should appreciated this body and use it to honor Him.

Third appearance:
Scrolling through my newsfeed on Facebook, I ran across a post by Our Daily Bread with today's devotion titled "You Have Value". The verse of the day was, of course, 1 Cor. 6:20 - You were bought at a price. God puts such a high value on you, that he sent Jesus to pay the ultimate price to rescue you from sin and death! What I took from the devotion:  Because I am valuable to God (not just my spirit, but my body and mind, too), I must recognize that value and see my true worth. The ODB devotion has a different message using this verse, but it certainly ties together with the other two. 

For me, it is ever so much simpler to have a positive self-image when I put on God's glasses. He sees me as having great value. My mind, my spirit, my body all have great value to Him. Feeding each of those aspects of my self with GOOD things is an act of worship of the Great God who created me. The Holy Spirit lives inside of me...ALL of me, not just a corner of my heart. Doesn't He deserve to have a healthy, strong and energetic house? I will take the best care I am able of this body He has loaned to me, and use it to give Him glory!







1 comment:

Grammy Goodwill said...

Isn't it wonderful that God loves us so much to be involved in every part of our lives?