Sunday, April 3, 2016

Writing About Writing

Today, I stayed home from church.

This rarely happens; pretty much only if I'm sick or we're on vacation or at a family event. My body is battling allergies, so I'm sitting at home in my fleece pants and flannel shirt, sipping tea, snuggling the dog (when she's not basking in her sunbeam), and inhaling essential oils. Since I've neglected my blog for a few weeks, I thought I'd use the quiet time alone to write.

What shall I write about? I could whip up an outfit post; I've had Some Postman take a couple of photos of me in the past few weeks. Or I could tell you about my experience making dog food for Etta Pooka...but we're still in the trials with that and not ready for a full review of the results. I've done a wee bit of thrifting, but neglected to take pictures of my finds. Yeah... I'm not in the mood for any of those subjects. I think I'm stuck in a rut. Perhaps it's time to shake things up a bit.

I wonder if taking a creative writing class would be helpful? But classes cost a lot of money, and I'd have to drive somewhere and take a big chunk of time out of my life to attend a class. Maybe an online class would work, but I'm not convinced it would be any better than a traditional class. It seems silly for me to spend money on a class if I'm not pursuing a degree. No, I have no desire to obtain a degree. There used to be a time that I felt looked-down-upon for not having a college education and a useful career, but not anymore. My calling is to be a wife/mother/grandmother, which doesn't require a degree. I no longer care what other people think about my lack of education. I read books, talk to other people, listen to music. I know where to find the answers....

The library! I will simply find a book or two on improving one's writing and go from there.

But...it's going to have to stay on the back burner for a few weeks. The majority of my creative energy the past several months has been channeled into being the chairperson of the Decorations Committee for our LWML District Convention. All the centerpieces, favors, etc. my committee has labored over the past three months will finally be on display in a couple of weeks. I'm a teensy bit nervous about pulling it off; invariably, something goes awry during the event. But I've got a terrific team of women backing me up; we can do it!



It will probably be two or three weeks until I get back here to write again. I'm glad I took the time this morning to write this entry. It's good to have a pot of something yummy simmering on the back of the stove. You know it's going to have lots of great flavor and be oh-so-satisfying when it's finally ready!

No comments: