Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Style Imitating Art: The Roses of Heliogabalus

Salazar of 14 Shades of Grey chose The Roses of Heliogabalus painting by Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema for this week's Style Imitating Art challenge:


Here is the outfit I put together inspired by his depiction of death by rose petals:



Outfit details:  top ~ JC Penney's; cardigan ~ thrifted; 
skirt ~ JC Penney's; earrings ~ old; bracelet ~ thrifted.



My participation in SIA challenges is sporadic at best; it only happens if I am struck with an idea for an outfit instantly upon seeing the artwork. It would probably be good for me to stretch my imagination a bit and go for it each time the challenge is issued. But the perfectionist in me says not to join in unless I can come up with a very relevant outfit and a proper backdrop. The soft colors and flowy vibe of this skirt, top, and cardi reflect the painting well. And is this not the perfect backdrop for The Roses of Heliogabalus?


This wild pink rose bush grows along the pasture fence near our house. My good friend and neighbor T agreed to take photos last Friday, early in the morning after Some Postman left for work. Since the pink roses were very nearly on the way to death themselves, we knew we had to hurry up and get pictures. My outfit wasn't worn solely for SIA, either; I did wear it to church the following Sunday morning, with the strappy white sandals I had originally intended to wear when we took the photos. However, because I had to clamber through the ditch and avoid who-knows-what-kind-of-critters in the tall grass, cowboy boots were far more practical. And honestly, I really preferred wearing the boots over the sandals. I don't know what it is, but there is something about wearing cowboy boots that makes me feel like I can do anything. Like climb into and out of a steep ditch while wearing a long lace skirt:

 

Not very graceful, admittedly! And I completely forgot to take pictures later on Sunday to show the sandals, so you'll have to use your imagination. 

Thank you so much, T, for taking photos for me; it was fun! Especially the silly poses:





5 comments:

Daenel T said...

Your outfit is perfect! I love how soft and ethereal it is. And the colors are definitely evocative of the painting.

Love the setting. So pretty and peaceful looking. And LOL at the "graceful" shots. Those are the best!

I need to give SIA a try. I always enjoy seeing the different interpretations.

Melissa G said...

Thanks, Daenel! :) Yes, you should give SIA a go. It's fun!

lantabmom said...

Love these pictures of you. The backdrop is beautiful, the outfit perfect, and you look like a model in these photos!

Melissa G said...

Aw, thanks, Leah! Much credit goes to the photographer - she's got a lot of talent with her camera.

twebsterarmstrong said...

That was a fun morning!