Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Adventures in Thrifting, Early Summer Roundup

Summer is yard sale season, which is the thing I like best about that hot, humid season. I haven't gone sale-ing each weekend, but I've gotten out often enough. It's not like I'm in particular need of anything. But it sure is fun discovering thrifty treasures!


The child's rocking chair is solid oak, made by a little family-run furniture store in Minnesota (so small, they don't even have a website). I had to ask what the price was (which usually irritates me, but in this case, it turned out to be a good thing; if it had been bearing a price sticker, I'm sure it would have been gone long before we arrived to the sale). When the lady said $5, I nodded and casually picked it up...but inside my head, I was doing the happy dance! Woot! The pretty little rocker is now sitting in my baby granddaughter's room, in her book nook.


Some of my most favorite pieces of jewelry have come from yard sales. It's certainly the cheapest way to add to one's collection! This bracelet and watch each cost 50¢. After wearing the bracelet a few times, I discovered why the person sold it; one of the pins has fallen out, making the bands go wonky. Thankfully it doesn't fall apart, but it's still kind of bothersome. My husband believes he could fix it for me, but he's busy working on The House Project currently. Maybe later.


Goodwill is still a favorite way for me to get in some thrifting, even in the summer. This was a good haul - jeans, lacy top, workout top, red leather purse, and the best thing:  a piece of Frankoma!



I tagged along with my daughter and her family to a small lake community's area wide yard sales a few weeks ago and found something I've been hoping for - a large bunch of fake philadandron greenery. It's too dark in my kitchen to keep a live plant perched on top of the cupboards. I was a lot happier to spend $3 than what it costs at Hobby Lobby, even if it's on sale for 50% off.

The bag is an expensive designer one, according to the woman who sold it to me. For $2. Lucky me! I really don't care if it's a designer bag or not; I think it will be nice to pair with fall outfits.



I really should have taken a "before" shot of this copper bangle. It was so very dirty, you couldn't even see the fish! While it's not actually an antique, as the seller claimed, it is vintage and possibly from Mexico. There is a similar bracelet on eBay for $16.99; mine cost $1, plus lots of metal cleaning paste.


My obsession with all things lacy continues to be fueled by thrifty finds like this. My sisters and I took our Daddy out for lunch a few days after Father's Day, and on the way back to our cars afterward, we popped into a tiny hole-in-the-wall thrift store. It was worth the while! This lace cardigan was my treasure; sister B found a pair of Justin gypsy boots; sister L found a cowgirl hat for her youngest daugther; Daddy enjoyed sampling the chocolate donut holes the propriator kept urging him to eat.


Finally, another terrific Goodwill find:  new, in the shrinkwrap, DoTerra Essential Oils starter pack. Three bucks!

Happy thrifting!



1 comment:

lantabmom said...

Love all your finds. Maybe in several months, I'll be able to finally join you more in some thrifting and yard saling. :)