Sunday, August 28, 2016

Sunday Inspiration: 8.28.16



 But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at last your care for me has flourished again; though you surely did care, but you lacked opportunity.
Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Philippians 4:10-13

Yes, I realize that the apostle Paul was not referring to a state in the USA in the passage above. He means, of course, the conditions in which he finds himself. I believe he's mostly talking about material needs here, but the same applies to one's state of mental well being, physical health, and sure, even the place where you live.

For me, the place I most need to learn contentment is the condition of my physical body. I'm working on being content with the size and shape that it is, and this is becoming easier for me the older I get. What isn't as easy is accepting that my body can't DO as much as it did ten years ago. I've had to give up my favorite forms of exercise (long distance walking and aerobic workout DVD programs) due to foot problems, ironically caused by those very activities. My body has more pains and less flexibility, although I'm fighting both as hard as I can. Yoga is something wonderful I discovered several years ago that is helping with those issues tremendously. I may not be able to do as much as before, but I can still do something! 

Yes, I can do all things in the strength that Jesus gives me.

(Photo:  US State pieces in my Frankoma pottery collection.)

No comments: