Thursday, January 12, 2017

You Win Some, You Lose Some

Yesterday, I spent some time making big messes in the kitchen. This is nothing new, of course, but I tried not one, but two new recipes, and I also made an old favorite. My husband commented that there sure were a LOT of dirty dishes as we cleaned up the kitchen together in the evening. That's what happens when I cook!

The first mess I made was a little one. My friend MA told me that she'd made Lahmajun a couple days ago; these are little Armenian pizzas made by spreading a thin layer of a meat mixture over a thin round of dough, then baking them until crisp. Lahmajun are eaten fresh from the oven with soup, or chilled and eaten cold the next day. MA simplifies the process by using pre-made flour tortillas instead of rolling out dough. She uses ground turkey, minced onion and peppers, mint, parsley, and salt for her meat mixture. To make a vegan version, MA suggested I use hummus or refried beans in place of the meat. Thus, my version of Lahmajun was made of a whole wheat flour tortilla spread with pine nut hummus, minced green onion, minced red and green peppers, mint, parsley, sea salt and black pepper. I baked it in a 350°F oven on stoneware for about 12 minutes, then slid it off the stoneware and directly onto the oven rack to bake another 3-4 minutes. (I wanted it nice and crispy.) It turned out to be VERY good!

I'll definitely make Lahmajun again; I was going to make it for my lunch again today, since I neglected to get a photo of yesterday's results, but my body told me to eat an apple instead. So here's a picture I found via Google of what a stack of Lahmajun looks like:

Image result for lahmajun

The second new recipe I prepared was Tempeh with Sweet Peppers and Bourbon-Laced Barbecue Sauce. I've been trying to add variety to my vegetarian meals with different meat substitutes, to keep things from getting boring. Tempeh is a soy product originating from Indonesia that is made by a natural culturing and fermenting process that binds soybeans into a cake form. The recipe I prepared was one that seemed fairly simple, with flavors I already enjoy.



I am not going to share with you the details of this recipe, because, as it turns out, tempeh is yucky. Even the picture I took of my plate looks yucky. I managed to choke down about half of this stuff, then dumped it back in the skillet and took the whole thing out to the chickens.

Crossing tempeh off  my list of meat substitutes....

Thank goodness the Apple Crumble Pie I made for dessert turned out delicios, because that was the bulk of my dinner last night. Sure, the juices ran out of the pie plate in the oven, causing all of our smoke alarms to let everyone in a 2-mile radius know that THE PIE IS DONE!!!! But it tasted good, and made up for the lousy main dish.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

MA HIGHLY recommends sticking with the Lahmajuhn :) But at least you tried a new recipe, and you have one to toss and one to keep.